School/University/Work-Thread

10 years 3 weeks ago #155816 by Sheila
Replied by Sheila on topic School/University/Work-Thread
I dont think my teacher gives out many good grades.. She just told me the grades I'm gonna get, and almost thanked me for getting to good grades, and said she had enjoyed having me in the class, etc xD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago #155826 by Fhina
Replied by Fhina on topic School/University/Work-Thread
Survived my Economics exam. FML!
Did my Spanish homework and have to ask a friend to check it, as I just did it with google translate. Just wanna get the course over, won't take the exam this semester anyway...

Now I will have to focus on my artilce portfolio in Economics (only 2 articles will need to be added and I will have to write some learning outcomes... :/), study for Business Law exam which is Monday (6.5) and after that I really need to focus Maths and Accounting. Exams are on 13th and 15th and I am so affraid of these 2 exams, but everybody is, especially Math. The teacher is horrible...sometimes his questions are so bad worded that you can't even understand the problem you will have to calculate...
Well despite these horrible exams I have 2 German exams :lol: and one in Finnish. Plus I will need to make a Portfolio in both, Finnish and PR German... Oh and 6 assignments in Media Relations & PR are left...

BUT there's light at the end of the tunnel...at 31st of may it's officially over. Just one summer course...Understanding Chinese Culture. :lol:

"To follow your dreams is something you really should do in your life, to achieve something that is really important to you."

Streetteam Finland

10 years 3 weeks ago #155843 by mrs v. viper
Replied by mrs v. viper on topic School/University/Work-Thread

izzie wrote: It's ridicolous how hard it can be to find a decent place to live in the bigger cities in Sweden.

it's hard in bigger cities everywhere in the world tbh... it took me almost 4 months to dfind something here. D:

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

10 years 3 weeks ago #155844 by Sheila
^ It costs a lot too, at least here.
The reason why I'm gonna travel (one hour each way) with the stupid we-work-when-we-want train company insted of moving, if I'm gonna go to school in Oslo.

10 years 3 weeks ago #155848 by izzie
Replied by izzie on topic School/University/Work-Thread

mrs v. viper wrote:

izzie wrote: It's ridicolous how hard it can be to find a decent place to live in the bigger cities in Sweden.

it's hard in bigger cities everywhere in the world tbh... it took me almost 4 months to dfind something here. D:

I've been in the queue since december 2011 and have only been offered one room with splitted kitchen/bathroom since then. It's hopeless...

10 years 3 weeks ago #155850 by mrs v. viper
queue?

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson

10 years 3 weeks ago #155851 by Fhina
Yes, it's common here to have waiting queues especially when it comes to student appartments. I applied for a new room close to my university in January and didn't got one offer so far. Last summer there were about 7300 applicants for like 3500 places...I guess this sommer it will be even worse...

"To follow your dreams is something you really should do in your life, to achieve something that is really important to you."

Streetteam Finland

10 years 3 weeks ago #155854 by mrs v. viper
so how about cheap apartments that aren't esp- Student apartments?
I mean studenst aren't the only people with no money right, there have to be other cheap possibilities, right?

10 years 3 weeks ago #155858 by Fhina
Well, I can only speak for Helsinki, but cheap options are rather hard to find.
I mean...for a one room apartment with 25m² you pay easily 650-700€ without electricity, Internet, heat. It depends where, but I guess this is like an average price. Of course you can share an normal apartment with friends but there are hardly any apartment which have some kind of good cut so you use it as shared flat. As couple no problem, but with friends a bit difficult.
In the end you will be still with about 400-450 € with all extra espenses.

I pay now 250 for 14,5m² incl. water, heat and electricity and as I got some faster internet it's 5 € a month. Ususally it's free if you take the very slow net.
So it's rather hard to find something affordable without working hard next to your studies....

And of course there are other people with little money, but I guess they get other benefits from the government. I know students get the student money and can have some amount for an apartment but all together this is about 460 €...so less than I have...But you can also take a student credit, but yeah...

Streetteam Finland

10 years 3 weeks ago #155861 by izzie

mrs v. viper wrote: so how about cheap apartments that aren't esp- Student apartments?
I mean studenst aren't the only people with no money right, there have to be other cheap possibilities, right?

That's correct, but they are nearly impossible to get. The regular apartments have about 1500-2000 applicants each, student apartments have about 200.

Also, I don't mind paying a bit (you have to count with about 5000 sek each month here) but there are even nothing to pay for (if you don't want to buy an apartment, thats a bit easier to find). It's a mess.

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #155863 by mrs v. viper
wow okay thats insane :O I thought about 25 persons on one apartment was bad D: good luck!

@Fhina:
Yep, same prices here, although the city is unattractive for everyone but students. I was in the lucky position that they just build a new student apartment complex when i searched wich brought some relief. But when I started I remember students sleep in the School sportshall until the middle of the term.
Darmstadt is pretty insane in it's own way. Imagine a relatively small town but with one of the worlds most renomated engineering schools. People come from all over the world come, many are poor and really come for the education. No way they can afford the prices so it gets pretty insane every start of the term when they try to just let everyone live somewhere. Now add the double classes coming with G8 + ESA and the building of a new Hadron Collider draws a shitload of scientists into the town. It's crazy, you literally feel the population drop during the breaks, it's like "where did everybody go?!" and its just a small old town haha.
But nope, we don't have 1200 people on one apartment. I guess thats because there are enough smaller cities so close tho..

10 years 3 weeks ago #155864 by Mz. Hyde
Replied by Mz. Hyde on topic School/University/Work-Thread

mrs v. viper wrote: so how about cheap apartments that aren't esp- Student apartments?

At least in Stockholm there is a queue for most apartments, except for some who are owned by private companies (the biggest landlord is a company owned by Stockholm city), they choose from those who are interested instead. Often there is also income requirements which makes it harder for students and other people with low income. If you want a cheap apartment the suburbs is almost your only option. It's easier to get a student apartment then a regular, for student apartment you can count on about three years in queue before you even get offered to look at an apartment, for regular apartments it can take up to five years or more. Now I'm talking central Stockholm cuz that's where I want to live and therefore have some experience. A lot of people sublet their apartments, so it's pretty common to get a place to stay that way. But it is really difficult, unless you have a couple of million SEK (or can take a loan) and buy your own place.

If you love me like music
I'll be you're song

10 years 3 weeks ago #155865 by mrs v. viper

Mz. Hyde wrote: At least in Stockholm there is a queue for most apartments, except for some who are owned by private companies (the biggest landlord is a company owned by Stockholm city), they choose from those who are interested instead. Often there is also income requirements which makes it harder for students and other people with low income. If you want a cheap apartment the suburbs is almost your only option. It's easier to get a student apartment then a regular, for student apartment you can count on about three years in queue before you even get offered to look at an apartment, for regular apartments it can take up to five years or more. Now I'm talking central Stockholm cuz that's where I want to live and therefore have some experience. A lot of people sublet their apartments, so it's pretty common to get a place to stay that way. But it is really difficult, unless you have a couple of million SEK (or can take a loan) and buy your own place.

Ah yeah I've heard it's easier to buy a flat. I'm kinda glad I never decided I want to live in town anyway because i just deemed it way too expensive now haha. I just need to buy a flat some day. some day, some day...

10 years 3 weeks ago #155879 by Sheila
Can someone tell my job that taking courses on how to deal with the register is totally unecessary when I have worked with it for a year already?? Scanning stuff, taking returns, selling alcohol, finding old recipes. I do it all the time, cant really see why I need to learn about it now.
It wouldnt be so bad if java was cooperating a bit with me, but it just refuses to work. xD

10 years 1 week ago #156183 by Fhina
My official Semester is OVER (okay German exam left...).
YIIIHA!

Courses for next semester are enrolled...
So how is it for everybody else going? :)

Streetteam Finland

10 years 1 day ago #156395 by mrs v. viper
GOT ACCEPTED!! I can't even...

mrs v. viper wrote: well.. so to get a spot in an exchange program that is not only funded by erasmus but also from my school additionally (=shitload more money) we went through some kind of casting.
there were 3 spots for going to the Academy of Arts in London. Rumours were you have to be really good to be allowed by our school to apply for that, and when i found out that my competition in the final round were partly in their 3rd year (I and others are in their second) I thought it wasn't going to happen, but actually...

for the 3 places availabble ther were 7 studnets applying, 4 3rd years, 3 2nd years, but only 2 portfolios were chosen, the 3rd place being unoccupied because of a lack of quality. My Portfolio was chosen, the other one was a 3rd year.
The people in London can still say no, but even if they do this is such a huuuge head up from my school. Some on here know how hard I had to fight to get a study place at all, and now this. Camberwell College of arts is a pretty big thing and now I have a chnace to go there.
I always dreamed of something like that, and the best part is that I know that nothing of this was luck, or a favour by someone else, or some kind of destiny or fortune, but somethingthat happened because I chose to chase my dreams and woirk bloody hard for it.

When I was about 10 years old I said to my Mum "Mummy, when I grow up I wnat to study at one of those pretty old buildings, and be a fancy student amongst fancy art people at a recognozed art school."
the way other girls want to become singers, you know.
Now I might go here::

I actually get a shot at my very private disney castle.

10 years 1 day ago #156397 by Mz. Hyde

mrs v. viper wrote: GOT ACCEPTED!! I can't even...

Congratulations :lol: Very well deserved!

I'll be you're song

9 years 11 months ago #156439 by Mz. Hyde
One exam done, two left! Can't wait for this semester to be over!

I'll be you're song

9 years 11 months ago #156450 by Sheila
I'm a bit slow, but congrats :lol:

Just oooone exam left here. Really hope I get a nice subject. Everything is ok except for science, or whatever its called. xD

9 years 11 months ago #156462 by Sheila
I got to know my grades today :o A little bummed about history, I had 5 last semester, now I have 4 :/ But I got higher grades in three other subjects, so I'm kinda happy :lol:

9 years 9 months ago #157147 by Sheila
School has started again for most people, what are people doing this year? :lol: (I look like I'm very interested in school, as the three last posts is by me xD)

I've started at university now, scary as hell. But I think I've got most things fixed now, like books, time table (I manage to choose two subjects on the same time, haha), and I've found out about trains and shit. I'm gonna study to become a teacher, if anyone was wondering. xD

9 years 9 months ago #157153 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic School/University/Work-Thread
I'm gonna have admissions on the 10.09, quite nervous about it :| I'm gonna try to enter a languages degree course in Bologna, so WHEN (not if, WHEN, I MUST DO IT!) i'll have passed the exam, i'm gonna move out there! :lol:
I'm quite sure about the languages im gonna choose, so they'll be english and russian, plus im thinking about starting finnish too, but i have to sort it all out.
So, fingers crossed til the day of the results at the end of september! :)

9 years 9 months ago #157161 by Guest
Replied by Guest on topic School/University/Work-Thread
I have no requirements whatsoever on anything. I try in my own private head improve the small Slovenian I can. Otherwise thank Google translations although not 100%.

9 years 9 months ago #157238 by izzie
I bought 19 books for the upcoming semester. It covered a fourth of my list. =>

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper